Tuesday, October 7, 2008

This is not a drill people!

When I first got my period at about age 16(I know it is late but I was a gymnast so I think I stunted my development) my mother sat me down to explain how getting my period was a "beautiful" thing since it meant I was able to have a baby and how wonderful the whole process is. I felt at the time that it was just gross. Over the past 2o years I have grown to tolerate getting my period and haven't thought much about the "beautiful process" my mother spoke about way back when. In reality I spent my early to mid 20s actively avoiding the process with a vengeance.( for those who don't know me in real life I was a bit of a late bloomer on the lesbian thing and didn't figure it all out until I was about 30)

So for the past 20 years my body has been going through what I will call fire drill fertility. Every month I would bleed and ovulate and all the other good stuff but the whole system has yet to be tested for real until this month. So my period started right on time last night and for the first time I really think of it as a beautiful thing! I have never been so excited to use a tampon in my life. So after the bleeding stops my body will be preparing my womb for a potential pregnancy. My ovaries will be stimulated to mature and release an egg. My fallopian tubes will pushing an egg or possibly a blastula towards my uterus. My uterus will be thickening so it is ready for implantation.

For the first time this month I could be making a baby! I hope every one remembers what they have been practicing in the drills.

2 comments:

Snickollet said...

Woo!

Let the babymaking begin!

GIve that cervix and the rest of the team a pep talk!

Meegs said...

Love it! And a big ditto! :-)