Sunday, November 29, 2009

Whoops!

So Shazam and I fell off the old blog wagon. I think we both got a bit overwhelmed with the holiday and trying to blog every day for the whole month. So while we didn't post everyday this month I do think it helped motivate both Shazam and I to post more so I am happy we tried.

This year we have so much to be thankful for. We both have wonderful families who support and love us. We have little E who is the love of our lives and so much fun. We celebrated with Shazam's family and our meal was wonderful and the company even better. Little E was a bit of a cranky pants though. She did sleep for just enough time for us to eat our turkey without holding a baby though. In keeping with Thanksgiving tradition though Little E ate way to much. I am not sure what was going on but she ate the whole day and slept very little.

Shazam and I decided that we would stay over night so we had our first sleep over with the baby. I must say that Ella slept pretty well and only got up a couple of times to eat but went down well. Since we didn't have to steal away in the middle of the night I am calling it a success. Little E did sleep all day yesterday to catch up and has slowed down on her eating a bit. I think she was just trying to be like her Mommies and stuff herself on the holiday.

Little E certainly is eating a lot more lately and I am a little nervous about my supply. I used to have an oversupply not only due to the fact that Little E was eating such small amounts but also because I was producing tons of milk. Our primary nurse called me bessie. Lately my milk supply has been a bit lack luster. I have a large stash in the freezer but I have not been able to replace what the milk that I have been defrosting each day. Some days I have been able to freeze the milk I have used but other days I can't freeze anything. So I started taking fenugreek today to see if my milk supply goes up. I had hoped that I would be able to transition Little E to breast feeding more once we got home but it just hasn't worked out that way. Since we had to give her bottles of enriched milk for the first month and a half when we got home we never got into a good groove with the breast feeding. I do still nurse her two times a day but I usually need to give her a bottle afterwards. Now that Little E is sleeping for long stretches at night I also am not pumping as much as I had in the past. I think all of this is contributing to my supply dropping. I hope the fenugreek does the trick and gets me going again. I may have to do a power pumping day or two to really get my supply back up. I was hoping to feed Little E breast milk for a year and will keep working at pumping as long as I can. I am a little disappointed about perhaps having to turn to formula but I know it isn't the worst thing that could happen. Shazam reminded me today that while we had planned to feed Little E breast milk for a year often things don't go as planned.

Little E is taking a nap right now so I am going to take advantage of this and take a bath. Hope you all had a wonderful holiday.

3 comments:

nutella said...

Breastfeding is hard. Pumping sucks. I hope the fenugreek gives you the boost you are looking for. I saw an increase in supply when I ate oatmeal for breakfast (I also sprinkled on some brewer's yeast and ground flaxseed). Dark beer is supposed to help, if that's your thing. But whatever happens you are doing an amazing job!

Anonymous said...

I used More Milk Plus from whole foods when I needed to boost my supply. It worked, but I definately needed to pump once at night when my prolactin levels were up to keep a good supply when mostly pumping. Good muck to you and any amount that you are doing is wonderful work and a great committment.
Ruth (have followed your blog since before conception!)
cocoabolo@aol.com

Anonymous said...

I have been reading your blog since nearly the beginning and have commented before (from Los Angeles). My ttc blog is password protected so I couldn't get you that information publicly but I have recently started a new blog that is not. It is not a ttc blog but, if you were interested (at the very least in seeing that I am not a wierdo-cyber-stalker despite my lack of commenting) feel free to check it out:
http://murraysheart.wordpress.com/

tw n M.